Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Massive upload of viruses to peers.

Discussion in 'Loft Room' started by noxlupi, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. noxlupi

noxlupi Member

When is the 27/7 working staff, going to do something about the infected and reported uploads that are on gfxpeers? As well as kicking and banning the users?

It is becoming an increasing problem.. People are not following rules, and users have stopped caring, because it seems that not much is being done about it.

So many duplicated t's, viruses, bad uploads, non Gfx software, no seeders and no info on the torrents.

Queax likes this.
  2. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

1) There are no 27/7 working staff. There are not even any 24/7 staff

2) How come you are the first to mention it on the forum. Also the reported torrents, are reported for breaking the rules. NOTE there are no rules that say "Torrents cannot contain viruses/trojans".. Surely by now, you know the risks of downloading stuff, instead of paying for it. How many times do you and many others, that say something has a virus/trojan, get told to not download anything if you are not 100% sure about it.

3) While I agree that every so often, you will see an increase in duplication and yes there are many torrents with little or no information as to what the torrent actually is, though the latter is usually easy to solve, check the file list, do some searching. I and many others do our best to keep dupes and rule breaking torrents to a minimum.. and you can do your bit too by reporting them, if and when you spot them

Anyway, as I say, if this was such a huge problem (as far as viruses/trojans) are concerned, then do you seriously think you would be the only member having something to say about it.. Sure unless you are very very careful, you will pick one up now and again, especially if you grab torrents from newbies who seem to have found something, that no other regular uploader knows anything about. I tend to not grab stuff immediately, I tend to leave anything interesting, for a few days/weeks, see what happens. If you see a lot of complaints and nobody saying it works just fine, then walk away. If you see one or two complaining and dozens saying there is no problem, then you can be fairly sure it's ok.

Torrents are a risk, file hosting links are a risk. Downloading anything, for free, when you should really have paid for it, is a risk.. and as such, you don't get guarantees, there is no official support should you have a problem and very few people are going to care, if something you download and install, screws up your computer... Who knows, while you were typing, you could have been infected or hacked

Sorry to be blunt... but you either pay up or take your chances... This is not the place for people that do not understand the risks they are taking. Talk it or leave it. It's your choice.. and before you ask... NO donating is only to keep the site up and running, not a guarantee of safety or that anything you find is not going to mess up your computer.

No Sins likes this.
  3. noxlupi

noxlupi Member

Well according to the the monthly donation alert, the staff is working every day and night in order to bring us stuff, and we are selfish if we dont pay for it.

On the other hand, you are asking me to dont give into the rulles if I can work around them! Which I quite frankly think is a bit strange. I rarely pick up viruses, as I have been using computers for a very very long time, and I can identify strange behavior and I now hoe to protect my self. But that is not the issue.. The issue here is that there are users will ill intentions to hurt or steel from the users of this "community", sure a virus can sneak into an upload, or some av software can give a false positive.. But I am talking about the torrents that are flooded with viruses, from users that are already reported many times, and there is a clear pattern from these users.

In regards to being the only one complaining in the forum, that might be true, but the forum and gfxpeers are separate sites, and several users have reported these issues, but it is done on the gfxpeers site, as that would be the logical place to flag, report and complain about a torrent. but apparently it is not the right way to go about it. So no, I am not alone, as I clearly stated in my thread.

I feel that it annoys you, every time someone raises an issue, and your first reaction is often just to tell people to find another community if they dont like it here.

It was the same thing when a huge amount of the community couldn't comment on torrents, it was raised as an issue in the forum, but since we where only 4 people, at the point that you replayed, you concluded that there could be no issue.
    Perhaps this attitude is the reason there are no other complaints.. At least, for the future, I dont feel like raising issues in the forum anymore.

Queax and Ariusfx like this.
  4. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

1) Do you seriously expect someone to be sat there, working 24/7. Working every day and night, doesn't mean 24/7
    2) Nobody mentioned that you would be selfish not to donate. I just wanted to point out, before you mentioned donating, that is purely to keep the servers up and running.. and obviously without the servers, GFXPeers would be no more
    3) Whether there are members of GFXPeers with ill intent or not, I cannot say for sure, perhaps some names would be helpful
    4) A pattern of duplication, yes i mentioned that happens every so often.. and it is something that gets reported and dealt with
    5) As for torrent full of viruses, again, you mention no particular member(s), so what do you want done about it. I recall ONE torrent recently, that was reported to have several viruses within a bunch of .exe files. My answer to that would be, as ever, not to download it, as I mentioned before, if you are not sure.
    6) Where do you get that it annoys me, when someone raises an issue. It depends on the issue and being a moderator of the forum and NOT GFXPEERS, there is little I can do to help, other than make suggestions and as you say, reporting it / commenting it, should be done on GFXPeers, where you can also report the member, if you feel strongly that they have ill intent
    7) The ability of come members to comment on GFXPeers or not, was not something I could fix, since as I said before, I am not a GFXPeers mod. and if only 4 people out of the thousands of GFXPeers members (not exactly a huge amount), had some problem commenting, then for me, that really isn't a big issue and they should have contacted the staff at GFXPeers, rather than start a thread here on the forum
    8) and where did I say don't give into the rules, if you can find a way around them... I do recall there was no rule, preventing torrents, that may or may not contain a virus/trojan etc. That would be an almost impossible rule to enforce.. and so it is entirely up to you and anyone else, whether or not they take that risk.

No Sins likes this.