Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Robots and such

Discussion in 'Loft Room' started by roocoon, Aug 30, 2018.

1. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

Anybody knows what's up with those robot spam accounts?
    Do they actually manage to attract people to whatever they offer? I suppose they get some but is it worth the trouble? I'd think more people would be turned off by the spamming.

And talking of robots, excluding those obvious ones with the similar names, how does some site know how many robots are online? I see it on their statistics sometimes.
    Is it based on what they scan for and/or the scan speed (e.g. spiders), or something else?

2. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Just seen 6 reports and hundreds of threads created by several accounts. Spent ages , deleting everything and giving each account enough warning points to get them banned,. What would be much better would be to have a BAN USER button on the account, that bans them and deletes every post they have made. Sadly it's not that easy

3. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

Maybe there's some function in the site's software to weed out the bulk spams.
    Many spam accounts seem to be computer generated and probably are very similar, like this last Chinese spam rain.
    Track the new registration names. If there's a high level of similarity with the ones created in the last day or whatever, either block them right away or freeze their registration until they send a request to the admin and they get accepted.
    This wouldn't affect normal user registrations.
    At least until the spam engines improve and create IDs that are unique enough :)

You could also block posts from the same ID that come too close to each other (but I think you do that already, not sure).

4. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

One way to have stopped this one in it's tracks would be, any member posting using non English characters, gets banned automatically, that way, I wouldn't have to delete hundreds of posts, just the one, for each member