Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

V-Ray 4

Discussion in 'CGI News' started by snakema, Dec 6, 2017.

1. snakema

snakema Group Buy HEAD
    Staff Member Moderator

V-Ray 4 FOR 3 DS Max (BETA 1)
    Chaosgroup started beta for the next v-Ray Version for 3 DS Max, some of the new features you will find:
    - V-Ray GPU (now supports vrscans, fog, volume grids)
    - Adaptive Dome Light (no longer need portal lights, render times up to 5 times faster)
    -Auto exposure y white balance
    - Returns (updated and new interface)
    - new shader for hair
    -Switch Material
    -VRay Plugin Material & texture
    - Denoiser render elements (now denoiser applies to all elements)
    - new v-Ray SDK...

chronocross and roocoon like this.
  2. snakema

snakema Group Buy HEAD
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Where do yo get this info from, not even a hint on the official forum... The Adaptive Dome Light (no need for portals any more) is something that was mentioned a while back.... Auto Exposure, something that was added to Solid Rocks a while ago, will be a nice addition and the fact that all render elements can use the de-noiser will be very welcome

BUT....what on earth are these

Returns (updated and new interface)???
    Switch Material???
    Vray Plugin Material and Texture???

4. Juancho9305

Juancho9305 Member

Returns the VRayPhysicalCamera...

5. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

NOTE: That videos title is wrong "Vray 4 for 3DSMax is here:....." is incorrect.

6. snakema

snakema Group Buy HEAD
    Staff Member Moderator

7. snakema

snakema Group Buy HEAD
    Staff Member Moderator

8. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but the video title is incorrect and there is also no mention of this being in beta nor any of the other stuff listed in your original post. Plus still have no idea what... Returns (updated and new interface), Switch Material and Vray Plugin Material and Texture actually mean.

All that video (and the other 4 tests) shows is Vlado testing the new Nvidia Optix denoiser, which he just so happened to have tested with with a 4.01.01 build of Vray, as he mentioned on the forum.

9. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

Maybe the Switch Material is related to something similar they have in Vray for Modo.
    It's described here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYMODO/V-Ray+Switch+Material
    There's also a switch_material.py command in Vray for Blender. Quickly switch materials without going through the Properties Editor.

Or it's something else completely. We'll know sometime next year.

10. noise2render

noise2render Active Member

Glad i have a cpu with SSE 4.2 instruction !!!!! cant wait for a trial (waiting)

11. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

For now my only problem is you need to use a separate version of Max, to install the beta and it (at present) doesn't support various plugins, most importantly no forest pack pro, which is due to the rewrite of the SDK.... I've gotten so used to my version of Max and although I have others installed, only for conversion of scenes etc, it would be really nice to be able to quickly switch the vray version I am using, rather than have to install it, on a different version of Max.. I shall give it a blast for sure, but it just won't feel right for me.. Still it's nice that I will get the chance to check it out , although will be difficult to say how much better/worse it is, when it's not running in my preferred version of Max.. Yeah I know, I could install the plugins I want in the other Max versions I have, but that's not what I want.. Bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to Max I guess.

Anyway, I did see someone say they had installed it and were having a play with it and could not get DoF preview in viewport working... Now that's a new one to me, I thought, I've never heard about Vray being able to do that and it's certainly not in the features list for the beta... Also I guess some people just don't understand the meaning of BETA tester.. You try stuff, you report on it's success / failure, they do what they can to fix it, if required, they add more new stuff as time goes by and eventually almost everyone gets the things they wanted.. but obviously not all (there are always people that want more) like preview of DoF in the viewport haha

So for now, my only requested feature for the new beta, will be the ability to switch Vray versions within the same version of Max, by installing them in different folders..and choosing which one in the normal render setup. Yes it would take some serious rewriting, but hey, stranger things have been requested.

12. roocoon

So is SSE 4.2 a requirement or nice to have?

13. noise2render

noise2render Active Member

roocoon
    As a new feature they upgraded to SSE 4.2 for more speed i guess, there is a chance that v4 will include backward compatibility i mean they have to or they gonna loss some customers with lower end CPUs. So they may make legacy version just like corona.

Andy47
    Even if its at final stage, vray 4 having bugs and broken features is no surprise cuz devlopers need to redo the coding and stuff, thus introducing new bugs and even similar bugs which are fixed in older versions.

14. roocoon

Hopefully so, but unlikely.
    They didn't seem to care about those customers when they released PhoenixFD 3.05.00 (they dropped support of lower lever processors).

noise2render likes this.
  15. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

I have an Intel i7 4770K @3.50GHz... hardly the latest thing. Got it back in January 2014

I also seriously doubt they will include backward compatibility for older processors, anyone seriously using Vray (at least I should imagine) will have a compatible processor. I would think people using OLD (no SSE 4.2) processors, would be those using a hacked version or schools, colleges, universities, who can get Vray far cheaper anyway... Also REAL users, would likely upgrade their kit anyway, since they are going to get a return on their investment.

Having done some very simple tests, even my not so new, but SSE 4.2 compatible system, shows some very welcome improvements in speed, when using this (WIP) Adaptive dome light feature, though even rendering it a second time, the timing seems to improve and rendering three images with Adaptive off, then on, then off again, the final image with it off, if much faster than the 1st one. weird.

I basically had a 4m square room, with two windows, a vray plane, a vray dome light and a vray physical camera, all materials were flat mid grey vray material.. The first render was 1min 33sec at 640x480, with Adaptive off, the second with adaptive on was 45 sec, then the third with adaptive off again, was 1 min 14sec.

oh and I hate Max 2016.

I think once it gets to the release stage and compatibility with Forest Pack etc, is there. These speed improvements will not be so great.. Forest Pack, even now, can seriously slow down a render. So some will gain and others will not. For me though it's not speed that is the most important thing.. It's how clean the renders are. If one render in 3.6 took an hour, but still had a bit of noise, then Vray 4.0 comes along and can do the same render in the same hour, but much cleaner, I'd be very happy.

Anyway as Vlado says, the final release is a long way off and for me it's just nice to be able to play with it, while they tweak the code, add features, fix stuff etc. Though much of the work is on the GPU side of things at the moment, which my kit isn't quite up to using for production at the moment, I am considering upgrading my kit next year, so we shall see. Right now it is far far too early to say much to be honest.. but it does appear to be much improved on the cleaner faster front

noise2render likes this.