Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VRay 3.50.04 for 3ds Max 2015 to 2017 Win

Discussion in '3DsMax' started by VIPGFX, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jennymc

jennymc Member

@roocoon Nice.

Please also advice which OpenCL to be updated with Nvidia GTX 1070, I checked the download page, but not sure which download file is applicable according to Gtx 1070 with max 2017 as there are many links
    https://developer.nvidia.com/opencl

please suggest, Thanks

2. noise2render

noise2render Active Member

3. jennymc

jennymc Member

it's fine then. I have very little knowledge about it, that's why I asked for it. tnx

noise2render likes this.
  4. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't risk suggesting something for NVidia since I don't have one, therefore can't verify the suggestion.
    With some quick googling, it doesn't seem there's much you can do.
    1. My links above are for AMD chips.
    2. The AMD SDKs generate code different than what NVidia uses (IL versus PTX).
    3. The NVidias are quite behind on OpenCL implementation. Cuda is their forte so OpenCL takes a back seat. For reference, the GTX 1070 seems to have OpenCL 1.2 support. (the 1.2 spec was out at the end of 2011)
    4. The NVidia OpenCL part comes build-in into the graphics driver. Unless you plan to develop your own code, there's no need for any SDK (I don't know if NVidia makes one available).

And that's it.
    As long as some software is happy with what your card's driver supports, you should be OK. In any other case, you're stuck.
    You can always check your card's OpenCL support with some utility, e.g. Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer http://www.geeks3d.com/20170327/gpu-caps-viewer-1-34-0-released/
    You'll find links to the latest drivers and more in that site.

jennymc likes this.
  5. roocoon

Unless I miss the point, these materials should work along with VrayMDLMtl.
    There is a Windows System variable set up (or add it i it's not there) for this case: VRAY_MDL_PATH_3DSMAX2017_x64
    It should point to vray's mdl so just append the paths to whatever mdl folders you have.
    Here's two NVidia materials:

[​IMG]

6. tamzid14

tamzid14 Well-Known Member

(whew) i use Gpu-z all time its showing Opencl 2.0 so i m sure its Vray bug if u want i will show screen shot of both gpu

7. roocoon

Your case must be a vray bug tamzid14. Just make sure there are no warnings and such in the log files.
    3.6 should be out today and maybe they'll fix this.

8. feona_fernandes

hi, can you just point me in the right direction to make these changes, should i add the path in customize -> configure user paths or customize -> customize system paths .... i am using max 2015

9. roocoon

This is a Windows environment variable.
    You add it through the Control Panel -> System and Security -> System, etc.

But if you use Max 2015, there is no point.
    The VrayMDL exists only in 2016 and 2017 for now (VrayMDL2016.dlt and VrayMDL2017.dlt). 2018 will probably get it too.
    Time to upgrade your Max version.

EDIT:
    Better verify my assumption about 2015 not having this file.
    I have 3.50.04 for Max2016 and above but I had left the 2015 with an older 2.40.x.

#29 roocoon, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  10. feona_fernandes

vraymdl2015.dlt does exist in 2015 folder of 3dsmax

11. noise2render

noise2render Active Member

vray 3.6 for max 2018 is out...

_Sting_ray_ likes this.
  12. _Sting_ray_

_Sting_ray_ Member

wow, support for NVIDIA Material Definition Language in VRay !
    I didn't know that !
    maybe because i didn't install vray 3.5 yet !(rofl)
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/MDL+Material+|+VRayMDLMtl#MDLMaterial|VRayMDLMtl-ImportingNVIDIAvMaterials

this is what i know ........
    iray+ have a shit loads of mdl library
    which is this : NVIDIA's vMaterial
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/vmaterials.html
    as far as i know , this library is not compatible with nvidia mental ray or nvidia iray
    but that was in 3ds max 2017 !
    is this mdl library now compatible with nvidia mental ray and nvidia iray in 3ds max 2018 ???

3ds max 2017 had a support of couple of mdl materials which was specialy design for nvidia mental ray and nvidia iray but it was not the vMaterial

13. feona_fernandes

as roocoon suggested i changed the environment variables and installed the vmaterials from nvidia, also i set up the texture paths inside 3dsmax for the texture (bitmaps) for vmaterials still there are lots of materials that show up black and certain that show up they dont change color according to the presets, i think i should quit this setup for now and do the R&D when i have sometime, in the meanwhile if someone is successful then please share the entire workflow.
    thanks in advance....

14. roocoon

I posted a ready-made MDL scene I found. Check it out in case it gives you some ideas.
    http://forum.gfxdomain.net/threads/news-v-ray-3-60-for-3ds-max-available.22844/#post-84480

15. tkkstar

tkkstar New Member

Hey everyone...
    Hopefully someone can help me. I installed the 2016 version and everything goes smoothly on install. But as soon as I open up max and then my material editor in Vray mode it crashes.

Has anybody else run into this problem?

16. tamzid14

tamzid14 Well-Known Member

(whew) i face same prob ? i did was install sp1 to sp4 thn delete VrayScanMtl voila all oky now, vray rt @cpu oky @cuda also oky but @opencl piece of sht

17. sharis

sharis Member

Thanks you friend BUT plz tell me WHY Not For "3dsmax 2014 x64" .... ???

18. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Since you obviously haven't taken the time to read the thread where this was originally posted. This will be ( at least from those that released it) the LAST Vray. DO NOT ask for any other version.. They made it as clear as possible.. Maybe, just maybe, someone else will fix it...

Anyway, I have 3.6 for Max 2014 and I love it, then again, after all the hassle, bitching, complaints, and general chaos, over Vray recently. I am so glad I decided to buy it. If you really need it , then that's what you do OR you upgrade Max... Simple as that. and please no excuses. nobody cares.

sharis and bazuka like this.
  19. sharis

sharis Member

I think you take it wrong ( or maybe my words ) I didnt' asked that to crack it for 2014 too & I know already that this is LAST VRAY ...
    I just wanna know that why not for 3dsmax 2014 version too if you are already given/cracked it for 2015 to 2017 .

Happy Rendering :)

20. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Each version of Max has a version of Vray. If they all used the same installer and it found the individual version of Max, then sure, one crack and everyone is happy. However, Vray doesn't work that way. So the person cracking Vray, needs the installer (FULL not demo) for each version of Max they want to crack it for. My guess would be, nobody was willing to share the installer for 2014 or they just couldn't be bothered to go back that far, since the majority of those asking for it in the first place, were using 20-15, 2016 and 2017.

anyway, asking why it wasn't cracked for 2014 or asking if they can crack the 2014 version, are the same thing as far as I am concerned

sharis likes this.