Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VRay 3.60.01 for Modo

Discussion in 'CGI News' started by roocoon, Mar 22, 2018.

1. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

A fresh 3.60.x for the MODO series (up to Modo 12) with VRScan support.

Info: https://www.chaosgroup.com/vray/modo

Huge Changelog:

Build 3.60.01 (20.03.2018)
    =================================================

New features:
    ===========
    (*) Support for the MODO 12 series;
    (*) Baking: Added the ability to bake to Ptx textures or .vrmesh point clouds;
    Access from Shader Tree -> Add Layer -> V-Ray Special -> V-Ray Ptex Baker;
    (*) Render Elements: Added the Cryptomatte render element;
    Access from Shader Tree -> Add Layer -> V-Ray Render Elements -> V-Ray Cryptomatte;
    (*) Render elements: Added "Multi Matte" RE;
    (*) Render elements: Added V-Ray Additional Outputs item with the following render elements:
    "Atmospheric Effects", "Background", "Caustics", "Coverage", "Material ID", "Object ID",
    "Raw Diffuse Filter", "Raw Reflection", "Raw Reflection Filter", "Raw Refraction", "Raw Refraction Filter",
    "Raw Shadow", "Render ID", "Shadow" and "Toon" REs;
    (*) RT GPU: Now allows hybrid rendering ( CPU + GPU );
    Can be enabled by selecting "C++/CPU" in the V-Ray Preferences under "CUDA Devices";
    (*) RT GPU: Added CUDA device selection in the V-Ray Preferences;
    (*) V-Ray Geometry: Added V-Ray Fur geometry item;
    (*) V-Ray Geometry: Added V-Ray Infinite Plane geometry item;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Added V-Ray scanned material (VRscans);

Improved features:
    ===========
    (*) Camera: Support for the "Spherical VR" projection type;
    (*) Geometry: Support for animation and motion blur on the geometry exported using the Render Cache, e.g. MODO Fur;
    (*) Licensing: Exposed the user-friendly license error messages that are implemented in the 3.6 core;
    (*) Lights: Added the Double Sided option in the V-Ray Light Settings for the Area light;
    (*) Misc: Print what host application was used to export a .vrscene file;
    (*) MODO Textures: The process texture's value channel now affects scalar effects (in MODO 11.2 and later);
    (*) MODO Textures: Image map: Added support for the "brightness", "contrast" and "clamp" channels introduced in MODO 11.2;
    (*) MODO Textures: Gradient: Support for Input Parameter -> Particle Effects -> Particle ID;
    (*) Render Elements: Ambient Occlusion: Introduced separate V-Ray Subdivs which ignore the global "Use Local Subdivs" option and work per AA sample;
    (*) Render elements: Added the "Full" mode to the V-Ray Light Select render element;
    Also renamed the other modes, "Normal" is now "Direct illumination", "Raw" is now "Direct raw",
    "Diffuse" is now "Direct diffuse" and "Specular" is now "Direct specular";
    (*) Render elements: Added a command for automatically assigning multi matte or object IDs;
    (*) Render Mask: When rendering an animation using V-Ray Standalone with a Render Mask enabled, the VFB image is now cleared between frames;
    (*) Render Settings: Switched to using Embree for hair by default;
    (*) Render Settings: Exposed the "Mode", "Use GPU acceleration" and "Generate Render Elements" denoiser parameters in the Properties viewport;
    (*) Render Settings: Use the JPEG quality, PNG compression level and OpenEXR compression type and level from MODO's Image I/O preferences when auto-saving images after a render;
    (*) Render Settings: The Mitchell-Netravali filter size is now fixed at 4 pixels;
    (*) Render with V-Ray Standalone: Added an option to render all passes from a pass group;
    (*) Preferences: Added a preference for choosing the default image format for the file save dialog that opens when "Choose output image" is checked in one of the Render commands;
    (*) RT: Texture locators using "front projection" are now properly updated in RT, this includes changing the projection camera or its channels;
    (*) RT: When the render region is changed/enabled/disabled do not start rendering from scratch, instead reuse already calculated samples;
    (*) RT: Enhance Region: Preserve the region when restarting RT using the vray.rt.restart command or when a change requiring complete restart is made (e.g. changing Render Cache mode);
    (*) RT: The select items and select materials options in the VFB right click menu should be saved as global MODO preferences;
    (*) RT GPU: Texture Locator: Support for the "Front Projection" projection type;
    (*) RT GPU: When a texture locator's UV map is set to "(none)", the first available UV map should be used like in the CPU renderer;
    (*) RT GPU: Support for the "Consider same object only" option of the V-Ray Dirt texture;
    (*) Shader Tree: Handle layer mask below another layer mask;
    (*) Shader Tree: "Blend mode" and "Opacity" now work for layer masks;
    (*) Shader Tree: Support for the "Rounded Edge Width" texture effect introduced in MODO 10.2;
    Note that the result DOES NOT match Modo when there are multiple textures with the effect or they have transparent (alpha<1.0) areas;
    (*) Texture Locator: Support for the "Front Culling" option (CPU only);
    (*) UI VFB: All VFB browse dialogs should remember the last used folder;
    (*) V-Ray Atmospheres: Added the "primary visibility" option to the V-Ray Aerial Perspective UI;
    (*) V-Ray Geometry Properties: Static subdivision and displacement are now enabled by default;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Added an "Enabled" check-box for each coat material of the V-Ray Blend material;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Added the "opacity mode" option to the V-Ray Material UI;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Added the "roughness model" option to the V-Ray Material UI;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Added the "Comp in specular" option to the V-Ray Hair UI;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Allowed the 2-sided material to be used as a sub-material;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Enabled "glossy fresnel" and "affect shadows" by default, but only for new V-Ray materials;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Switched to "Stochastic" opacity mode, "Oren-Nayar" roughness model and "GGX" BRDF type by default, but only for new V-Ray materials;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Decreased the "Cutoff Threshold" in the SSS2 material to 0.001;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: The browse dialog in the V-Ray Scanned material should show .png and .jpg files and replace their extension with .vrscan before setting the "File" channel;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: (Experimental) Added an OpenGL preview for V-Ray Scanned materials;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: The V-Ray Scanned interface is very slow when there is no available license;
    (*) V-Ray Proxy: Enabled the "particle width multiplier" parameter of the "Invoke ply2vrmesh" command for the .prt, .ply, .geo and .bgeo file formats;
    (*) V-Ray Textures: The V-Ray Curvature's "out color min" and "out color max" channels now accept values up to 100;
    (*) V-Ray Textures: The V-Ray Dirt's subdivs now always ignore the "Use Local Subdivs" option and work per AA sample;
    (*) V-Ray Textures: Added the "Distance along strand absolute" output type and the "Hair max distance" parameter;
    (*) V-Ray Textures: Changed the default V-Ray Dirt radius to 10cm and the default V-Ray Noise size to 0.05, but only for new textures;
    (*) V-Ray Textures: Added a separate "Radius Texture" slot to the V-Ray Dirt texture, the final radius is now determined by multiplying "Radius" and "Radius Texture" similar to the functionality in V-Ray for 3ds Max;
    (*) V-Ray Textures: Allowed smaller values (down to 0.0001) to be entered for the size channel in the V-Ray Noise texture;
    (*) V-Ray Volume Grid: The default detail reduction is now 3, and the min detail reduction is 0;
    (*) V-Ray Volume Grid: The preview no longer uses direct OpenGL calls in Modo 11 and later, this fixes a number of issues, since the version using direct OpenGL calls is currently unfinished;
    (*) .vrscene import: Remove unnecessary suffixes (@node, @Light, @mtl, @mtl_brdf, @tex) from imported geometry names, light names, material tags, material names and texture names;
    (*) .vrscene import: Textures: UVWGenChannel: Support for importing the "tile" options from 3ds Max;

Bugs fixed:
    ===========
    Read next post.

Partial render (it takes too long with my laptop):

[​IMG]

And some teapot made of fabric. Don't try this at home :)

[​IMG]

Peter Sanger likes this.
  2. roocoon

Bugs fixed:
    ===========
    (*) Camera: Scaled V-Ray physical camera makes image AA very blurry when rendering on the CPU;
    (*) Crash during RT when modifying geometry at vertex/edge/polygon level;
    (*) Crash during RT GPU when picking items/materials in the VFB window with 2 or more GPUs used;
    (*) Crash on a specific scene on macOS caused by stack overflow;
    (*) Crash when a Render Mask in selection mode is active and the selection is switched between a replicator and something else multiple times;
    (*) Crash if the Restart RT button is clicked after starting RT and while the scene is still being exported;
    (*) Crash when a material group references one of its parents instead of an actual library material;
    (*) Crash during RT when a transform constraint is deleted together with other items;
    (*) Crash: MODO 801 SP5 and below crash when using one of the "camera" commands in the VFB during RT and a confirmation dialog needs to be opened;
    (*) Crash with the OpenGL preview of the V-Ray Volume Grid on macOS in Modo 11.0 and later;
    (*) Crash when opening the VFB history panel if there's a vrimg in the history directory that was not saved through the panel itself;
    (*) Deadlock (random) during RT when the render/enhanced region is changed with lens effects or denoiser enabled;
    (*) Geometry: The V-Ray Clipper include/exclude list doesn't work with Replicator and .vrscene reference items;
    (*) Installation: The Filter Generator tool is not included in the installation on macOS;
    (*) Installation: The link to the docs site in the Start Menu is broken;
    (*) Nodal Shading: The "inverse" channel of the "Trigonometry" node doesn't work correctly in V-Ray;
    (*) Render Settings: When auto-saving 16-bit TIFF or 16-bit PNG images after a render, they are saved as 8-bit;
    (*) RT GPU: Pressing the RT restart button multiple times very quickly will sometimes block the whole MODO UI completely, requiring the MODO process to be killed;
    (*) RT GPU: Picking an object/material in the VFB will randomly not work when RT GPU is used with 2 or more GPUs;
    (*) RT GPU: The "Shading Normal" render element doesn't work;
    (*) RT GPU: Environment intensity multiplier doesn't work;
    (*) RT GPU: Different renders inside MODO and when using V-Ray Standalone when there is no environment visible to reflections or refractions;
    (*) RT GPU: DOF and film offset are not working on macOS even with a V-Ray Physical Camera;
    (*) RT Updates: Changing the channels of a V-Ray Aerial Perspective atmosphere is not updated in RT GPU;
    (*) Sampling: Noisy glossy refraction with BF\LC and Light Cache Retrace turned on in some scenes;
    (*) Stability: Prevent storing custom channels larger than 64KBs in MODO 10.0 and earlier, as those might lead to file corruption;
    (*) Shader Tree: When using RT + DR, group masks on material items don't work correctly on the slaves, the material becomes transparent;
    (*) Shader Tree: When using RT + DR, gradients on the bump effect don't work on the slaves;
    (*) Shader Tree: If a material has no Shader item above it, it should render normally, instead of completely black;
    (*) Shader Tree: Group/Layer masks with transparent areas don't work correctly;
    (*) Texture Locator: "Front Projection" from a non-render camera is sometimes incorrect;
    (*) UI: The bottom part of the render elements popup is not visible in MODO 901, 902 and 10.0v1;
    (*) UI: Incorrect update of the enabled state of some channels in the Properties form (e.g Fresnel IOR in the V-Ray Falloff texture) under certain circumstances;
    (*) V-Ray Proxy: The "Convert to V-Ray Proxy" command crashes when an instance of an instance needs to be replaced with a V-Ray Proxy;
    (*) V-Ray Proxy: Material tags for a V-Ray Proxy exported from Rhino are not showing up in Modo;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Bump mapping disappears on small objects or when the camera is very close to an object;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: The V-Ray alSurface material doesn't appear in V-Ray Light Select render elements;
    (*) V-Ray Materials: Incorrect SSS on the standard V-Ray material with certain combinations of darker translucency colors and larger fog multipliers;

3. chorkee

chorkee New Member

Looking forward to this update, I have problem with texture radius on V-ray dirt on version 3.52.01 for modo.

4. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Member

The patch from 3.5.2 works on both Mac and Windows versions, same instructions as well :)

3.6 Working on both Win 10 and High Sierra in Modo 12 on my Mac Pro...

5. roocoon

No updates to Vray, just a heads-up.
    It looks like it's working fine with Modo 12.2v1 even though, if I remember right, it officially supports up to 12.1. Whatever crack you use, should be OK.

Another unfinished render...

[​IMG]

Bezio likes this.
  6. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Member

Wow! You are so awesome, you have the cracks for everything.... Pretty sure to be on this forum maybe you should share :)

7. roocoon

What's the hurry?
    Copycats leak most of them eventually. Just wait them out.

8. ineedlove

ineedlove Member

It's been ages no one have leaked the Vray 3.6 patch for SketchUp yet :^)

Bezio likes this.
  9. Bezio

Bezio Member

I'm afraid that vray 3.6 (for sketchup), will be the only vray that will never be released! After one year+ there is nothing. No one else can crack it (including 'copycats'), so there will be no leak , if someone could do this, the crack would be already out.

ineedlove likes this.
  10. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Member

I'm glad rocoon likes Vray and Sketchup... he can keep his crack. I do not use the software. Have every thing I need with Maya and Houdini on all three OS's. Redshift is king, and I don't need a crack :)

Bezio likes this.
  11. Bezio

Bezio Member

That's true! Last years people who like sketchup become less and less. I started with Sketchup, then i moved on to Modo. Modo is great there is no doubt about it, but Sketchup will always be my favorite! Simple, nice interface, lightweight. And with vray makes a very strong combination (At least for what i do :)) . Last years as i said a lot of people abandoned sketchup and moved on to another softwares (in my field of work ). But me, i still use it. It's awesome! I have tried both, i like Maya! Houdini is a bit strange :)

dreamof3d likes this.
  12. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Member

Houdini is tough for sure, Redshift not so bad to get materials on a model. Really big learning curve, I also find Blender tough to learn, maybe because the UI layout. I found a site that does group buys in tutorials only, no software, but every learning video you can imagine. I plan on taking Houdini to a new level. I want to do one of those slow mo animations of a bullet going through a glass filled with water. So cool... here is one of my first renders on Houdini with Redshift...

[​IMG]

Bezio and roocoon like this.
  13. roocoon

No matter what you use, if you know it well enough, it will do the job. And in the rush-rush times we live, if it's fast doing that job, so much the better.
    The rest is icing on the cake but very handy for getting new ideas.
    For myself, I'm more comfortable with Max since It was one of the first I used (3D Studio days). All of them are pastimes since I never used any of them for work. And none of them was as much fun as writing raytracers in my youth (probably because I'm a tech geek with no artistic veins).

Talking of difficult programs to use, I've spent hours trying to render a vray scene in Unreal and I'm still not there. Easier to crack them than use them :)
    Got to locate some easy tutorials. It's certainly not a platform to just dive in.

14. Bezio

Bezio Member

@dreamof3d very nice render and nice idea for the bullet! Houdini has one of the most good-looking interfaces. Yes blender has a 'difficult' interface but it's great too. Especially some of the features (grease pencil - the best! , turning 2d into 3d, and others). I'm waiting for the stable v2.80 release. And it's free (one more advantage ) so the only problem is to find good tutorials :)

@roocoon Unreal is tough for sure. They use it mostly (i think ) for creating games, i was curious once and i tested but i got bored in the first 15 minutes. No way to try it again. Modo & Sketchup only ( and Blender when 2.80 is ready! ). " Easier to crack them than use them" haha!

#14 Bezio, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  15. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Member

I hear my favorite render engine (Redshift) is currently being developed for Blender... sure I will give Blender some more thought then. Grease Pencil is very cool, I think a drawing tablet may be a Christmas gift to self... nice 8 x 11 would be cool...Think I will buy this one, looks like a nice entry level tablet: https://www.wacom.com/en-es/products/pen-displays/cintiq-13-hd

16. Bezio

Bezio Member

Awesome tablet, that would be nice gift! Yes,i heard that too, redshift is being developed for blender. But even without Redshift render engine, you should give a try with the new Blender v2.80 (when is released! )

dreamof3d likes this.
  17. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Member

They have been talking about that release for a long time. I will check it out again when it comes out. Is Renderman going to work with 2.8?

18. Bezio

Bezio Member

I searched about it, but i can't find a clear answer if it works. In a forum most of the Renderman users tell that is super buggy - if it works ( Renderman 22 for Blender v2.79, but also for some previous versions of Renderman 21.x). The better solution is to wait for the stable Blender release (early 2019) first , and then if the Pixar works more on the relation Blender-Renderman we will make a try, they claimed that they will re-write it from the start!

dreamof3d likes this.
  19. ineedlove

ineedlove Member

Do you have Vray for unreal 4.00.02 ?

From the version 4.00.03 chaos group dropped the support for older CPU's (CPU which didn't have SSE4.2 function), the thing is I am using an old xeon server (which run just fine) and its processor don't have SSE4.2 support.

I was working on a project using vray for unreal 4.00.02 on unreal engine 4.19. When I saw an update on chaos group website I suddenly deleted and uninstalled 4.00.02 vray and downloaded version 4.00.03 but soon realized that it didn't support my system.

You might have a question if get my hands on 4.00.02, how am I gonna activate the license for old version of vray.
    The thing is I am using the vray materials only in my project not doing any kind of rendering.

I will be highly thankful if anyone can help me in this regard.

20. roocoon

I can't help on 4.00.02. It must have been a beta and I never got any to look at.
    The first I did was 4.02.02 which doesn't even run on my laptop (SSE problem too). Same as Unreal. They take space on the disk but I can't run them. I can only use them through teamviewer on another computer.

If you had participated in the beta, maybe Chaos can send you the old version to finish your project and extend the trial's period. That's the best scenario.
    Other than that, even if you find a copy of 4.00.02, will it even run when their server gets online and finds out it's a non-supported version?
    Never came across this situation and don't know. Hopefully it will work.

Last alternative, if you have loads of RAM and don't mind some waiting (or maybe more considering the number of Unreal+Vray modules loaded -- but at least it happens only on startup), is to use Intel's emulator to supply any SSE instructions they want.
    You can get it here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...ccept-end-user-license-agreement-and-download

Good luck.