Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dismiss Notice

If any one not get activation email, Please login your account and Re-send Activation email , Thank you

ZBrush 4r8 - Error saving preferences/config file

Discussion in 'Help' started by JennyTheLeech, Sep 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JennyTheLeech

JennyTheLeech New Member

Hi Guys,

I've started tweaking my UI to better fit the new additions in 4r8. But I keep getting an error when I try to "Store config" after modifying the UI. It exports fine. But won't 'store' it.

I've tried deleting prefs and recreating the UI layout...but then after a few saves (gradually rebuilding my layout), it gives the same error.

Any ideas?

2. bitterblue

bitterblue Member

Is the file Read only ? check to see if the check box is ticked in the select config file >right click > properties tab.

3. JennyTheLeech

JennyTheLeech New Member

no, i've checked that previously (forgot to mention), and the C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZStartup\CustomUserInterface4R8.cfg is writeable. I've tried running zbrush as admin and same. Never had this issue before.

EDIT:
    Hmmm, as long as I don't close ZBrush I can save normally. It's only after I re-open ZBrush and try to save the config, that I get this error.

#3 JennyTheLeech, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. bitterblue

bitterblue Member

Weird...have you updated to 4r8 p2 ? my issues seemed to be fixed after updating. Also do you have it on your c:> or are you running it from a secondary HD ?

5. JennyTheLeech

JennyTheLeech New Member

Updated to p2 when it came out and yes default location on C. Just restarted windows in case it was being silly, but no joy. It's strange...haven't noticed this until today and I know I did tweak and save some basic changes without this error. I can export it and save as CustomUserInterface4R8_NEW.cfg, and before next using ZBrush just rename to CustomUserInterface4R8.cfg ...only solution for now.

6. bitterblue

bitterblue Member

hmmm does seem really strange.. just out of curiosity can you save any of the default ui's under a new name ? if you can then maybe you have tweaked things just a bit too far ?

7. JennyTheLeech

JennyTheLeech New Member

Only thing that's changed was windows10 updates a few weeks ago. That's the only thing I can think of, as that usually causes some silliness now and again. I can "save UI", both my own and defaults...but none of them save with "Store Config". hmm

EDIT:
    So, after a few tries. When I delete the prefs, open ZBrush, I can customize as much as I want, as long as I don't close ZBrush. But once I do, anytime after it refuses to save the config file. It as if ZBrush locks the file instead of a read once kind of thing....weird.

EDIT 2:
    I've uninstalled (moved all preferences elsewhere), reinstalled (not using old prefs). Tweaked layout. Saved. Reopened ZBrush. Same issue. hmm

EDIT 3:
    New xforce version doesn't have this issue at all. Yay. :)

#7 JennyTheLeech, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017