Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. We need to collect last month donation for our Servers,

Click this link and Help Us:http://forum.gfxdomain.net/donate/

If we help in yours works or study , please spend some money for us to pay ours servers

GFXpeers rule: Don't use archivied for torrent

Discussion in 'Site Improvment & Suggestions' started by se7en, Oct 23, 2012.

1. se7en

se7en Member

I have looked the rules, but i have not found a such rule.
    So i would propose that torrents must not contain archivies.
    In this way everyone can seed, using files downloaded by web host.

I propose this rule because i have downloaded some torrents,
    but it seems that no one need to be seeded after i have finished my download.

2. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Someone doesn't seen to understand torrents.. archived or not.. makes no difference

here is an example

You see a program you want, so you click download. Your torrent client, loads it, displays a list of trackers, peers, seeds etc and says downloading. Hopefully after a period of time, depending on upload download speeds and number of seeds, it will complete

Once it reaches 100% it will say seeding.. unless of course you are like a lot of the take take take types, who just stop the torrent and move the files, decompressing them if required...

What you should be doing, is waiting for the download to complete, then allowing it to continue, without moving ANY files, at least until you have UPLOADED (seeded) the same amount in Mb, Gb, that you have downloaded... the longer you seed the higher your ratio goes and the bigger the files you can grab next time and the better your reputation

I think I know what you are trying to say however. You want all torrents to be totally uncompressed, so that once downloaded, you can install or use what you have downloaded, and as long as you do not move the files or reorder/rename them in any way, they will continue to seed...

Sadly that rule WILL NEVER be introduced.. Seeding a torrent can take a long time, especially for those with slow upload speeds, so compressing all the files, helps reduce the size and makes uploading faster.. It also makes downloading them faster too

I suggest, you seed until you have uploaded the same or more in Mb / GB whatever, then once you have done that, you can by all means stop it and move the files wherever you want

3. panther

panther New Member
    Banned User

What is seeding? Well, when you download a file I've uploaded
    you are leeching. This means that you are receiving the file from my computer.
    When your torrent is done downloading, let it stay on. It will automatically seed.
    This means that everyone who's seeding is uploading the file,
    whilst everyone elses download will go faster.

Leeching is the exact opposite

4. esanti

esanti New Member
    Banned User

This is easy, folks, this is a community. If only download and forgets share, loses his account. Everyone must do their part. Sharing is love!

5. WORMONO

WORMONO Member

WE SEED PERSIANS BLEED

(muscle)(devil)(ninja)]:)

6. KamyKaze

KamyKaze New Member

I'm against but would like to ear arguments for.

My reasoning:
    I never keep uncompressed torrents in that state for long:
    1- The DL location is not the place I want it installed.
    2- It takes more space, needed for other DLs.
    3- It makes for a messy DL folder if it consists of several folders&files not under a parent folder.

Also:
    Uncompressed torrents maybe more convenient for leeching but I.M.O. are worse for sharing f.e.:
    Take an uncompressed 3D models torrent. It has obj. and .vray. You take only .obj, another only .vray when someone else needs both they'll need 2 or more seeds.

7. Malakore

Malakore New Member

Well I can totally see the advantage of non-packed torrents, being the fact you can only pick contents you want.
    But doesnt that make problems with seeding later on? If you upload 1.0 of only the parts you downloaded, will your torrent ratio still be 1.0 or only percentage of the complete torrent? Either way, I believe this should be solved by the uploader itself, uploading two/more torrents instead of just one.

On the other hand, I love compressed torrents because of my crappy download and especially upload speeds.
    Plus you can always leave the archive for seeding untouched and only extract certain files / whole contents to different directory to use it..

8. Johannes58

Johannes58 Well-Known Member

Your ratio is calculated on how much you seed... Regardless of what portion of the torrent you received. If the leechers that come in after you want the complete torrent, then you will only get a partial seed ratio...

I only use torrents when the files are very large, I can then put the file where I want when it's ready...
    I much rather use the files hare sites even though they often take more time (beer)

#8 Johannes58, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  9. Malakore

Malakore New Member

I see. I almost always use torrents because on TPB I get max speeds 99 percents of the time and most importantly, I can pause it ANYTIME. And thats great when I need to pause to see do other stuff with my connection or simply to upload some work to the DropBox. Which doesnt work with file sharing sites, unless you pay subscription. But thats subscription fee vs. free torrent, which makes it a no competition for me, being on a tight budget.

However this tracker seems to have such a a small userbase, so far Im getting pretty bad download speeds and almost zero uploaded MBs, which will most likely get me banned soon. But what can I do? :( Not only I might get banned without intentionally trying to abuse the torrent system, but it also feels bad when you download 2GB and then after 24hours of seeding your upload is 14MB... Because of that I actually started to use file sharing sites as well and tbh - I dont mind waiting times between files too much because I generally download learning videos, so watching one and experimenting in a program while waiting for a next batch of files seems to work. But yea, I might eventually buy a Uploaded subscription, seeing as they support PaySafeCard which seems like a great annonymous option.

But biggest challenge for me is actually finding the working links / alive torrents, as there is a lot of older stuff that I missed.

Whoops, just realized I went completely OT. Sorry.

#9 Malakore, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  10. Johannes58

Johannes58 Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you find out what works best for you...