Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Improvements Regarding Donations

Discussion in 'Site Improvment & Suggestions' started by wanderingmerchant, Jun 3, 2019.

1. wanderingmerchant

wanderingmerchant New Member

Hey there,

This is my first really public post so be gentle, or don't, whatever floats your goat.

I have a few suggestions about how to improve the site, specifically the donations system:
    1. Perks for donating

I understand that this is a contentious issue, but it seems quite a few people are echoing the idea that there should be some minor perks for donating. Whether this is some kind of decal or rank or an area for donators, it could really be anything but it would promote people to donate more and donate consistently to keep the perks up if they have a time limit.

One of the things that have been suggested is providing donators with upload credit. For donating x amount you would get y upload credit, maybe it could work based on price per gig or ranges or whatever. Everyone here is here to download and not everyone has the ability to maintain good ratios, whether it's because of data caps or just not wanting to or something else, this provides those users with a way to give back. To me, it also seems fair because the community wouldn't be able to exist if someone doesn't pick up the tab, this would just promote people to donate.

We could always have other perks, or only do upload credit, or do only other perks or whatever but whatever it is, I think it'll be a step in the right direction to promote donations.

2. A system to automate donations

Patreon has proven that a lot of people are willing to donate small amounts regularly, I see no reason that wouldn't be different for this community. Arguably the population of people who would be willing to donate regularly would be smaller but that's semantics. I would be willing to donate like 3-5 bucks regularly, but I don't always remember to, and it's much easier it the process is automated. Plus I can budget for it easier.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions about this sort of stuff? Thoughts on these points?