Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. We need to collect last month donation for our Servers,

Click this link and Help Us:http://forum.gfxdomain.net/donate/

If we help in yours works or study , please spend some money for us to pay ours servers

Licensed or illigaly downloaded?

Discussion in 'Loft Room' started by MrPoliigon, Mar 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MrPoliigon

MrPoliigon Member

Hey Guys,
    I've been wondering for quite a while now how Companies (like Textures.com, Quixel or Poliigon) that make and distribute Texture Assets (or any other kind of digital CG Content for that matter) keep track on who on the web is using legitimately bought or illigally downlaoded assets for commercial usage (Freelancing work in ArchViz for example)
    Its hard enough to spot specific Textures in rendered pictures anyway.
    I dont think impossible though, anything seems possible with the right algorithm nowadays.
    One of our Prof's at university told us, that whenever we use pictures or part of pictures from the google image search for project-related Photoshop-stuff, that we have to make sure that its not copyright protectet content, since there are apperantly certain companies which create such algorithms to search the web and charge horandous fees if beeing cought.

Do you guys mind the possibility at all or do you think I am a bit Paranoid?

Best wishes and please excuse my not so fluent attempts at english,
    your average CG Fan

2. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

If they care enough and can afford the time, they can tell.
    They can find similar/related images by using Google and maybe others.
    Once they find an exact visual match, they can even tell who was the buyer of that copy, assuming they recorded the information in the image. Look up steganography.

MrPoliigon likes this.
  3. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

@MrPoliigon i don't know if they can track you, but if we consider that " yes", then almost all the artistic community (the 99%) - from amateurs to professionals in movie industry they should be tracked :) So don't worry, use photos from shutterstock wthout fear haha :)

MrPoliigon likes this.
  4. angelofmercy

angelofmercy Guest

It doubt they can track you, similar to Hollywood if they somehow see a site with their materials in use they might start poking their noses in and may enquire to see your receipt. Mari does this as I had shed loads of emails from them so now I avoid them like a rash! :)

Copyright is not worth breaking if your in a commercial company making money! You'll lose your rep and a lot of things.

MrPoliigon likes this.
  5. ibwizard

ibwizard New Member

My take is if its something you're going to add to your portfolio then makes sure you are using legal supplies (textures, photos, etc..) Why?

The person your interviewing might have created that and does not like the idea you did not get permission so they don't hire you

6. brainsgonedead2000

brainsgonedead2000 Well-Known Member

There is a saying which goes like "Don't cut of the hand that feeds you!", basically if you need these programs so that you can buy food, drink and keep a roof over your head then buy a legal license. If not then imagine a Monopoly board...Jail you will go! No $200 will not get you out!

In the UK we have Trading Standards where they check to see if anything illegal is going on. Lets use the forgery term where brand names are being copied and sold as the real thing only to find they are fake. Then Trading Standards will close them down. Not just a fine. They will lose the right to sell goods so be unable to make money.

Moral of the essay is if you rely on something to keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach why would you risk it all just to save a few quid? If you enjoy sleeping on the streets then carry on stealing. Shoplifting is illegal but do you do that?

Copyright means you do not own the rights to anything that is not made or created by your own hands. Even if you use these programs as a hobby and make zero cash it is still illegal. If these companies wanted to find out who is using pirated versions they will.

People seem to be under the impression that coz they use a cracked version they will never be found. Idiots.

7. ibwizard

ibwizard New Member

Yes, you can be found, but the law tends to focus more on businesses then solo individuals. Unless you happen to get busted for something else then they find the pirated software

8. brainsgonedead2000

brainsgonedead2000 Well-Known Member

This is why people do it. They assume. Who knows one day they might get bored and target home users as well. They might create such a way to spy on those who use their programs.

Anything is possible. Just coz you pirate for fun and not make money doesn't mean you're invincible. If this was the case then Rapidshare and Hotfile would still exist.

Trust me no one is immune to theft. Might as well say if you kill someone you'll never caught. Carry on killing and eventually you most probably will be.