Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Maxwell Render 5.0.2.21

Discussion in 'CGI News' started by roocoon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

2. roocoon

And some of the new plugins that need 5.0.2.21. I'll post something with the SketchUp plugin when their server stops misbehaving and I can grab it.

v5.0.0 for Cinema 4D

[​IMG]

v5.0.6.2 for Rhino

[​IMG]

3. roocoon

leo shaft likes this.
  4. vancliff

vancliff Member

I thought people didn't use this anymore. Its so slow. Are they using the GPU for this one?

5. roocoon

You can use either CPU or GPU.
    It's not that slow either. It looks bad for me because of my old laptop.
    I still find the render preparation to take long (for me), even though they claim it was fixed in the 5.0.2.1. It probably needs more RAM than I have to see any difference. Disk thrashing would kill a Kray machine.

6. roocoon

The latest Maxwell Render plugin for Max v5.0.9 is now in sync with Maxwell 5.0.2.21. No need to keep around multiple versions of the Maxwell Render/Studio.
    If they would just release a version for Maya 2020 too...

The plugin's installer detects up to Max 2020. I copied its files over to Max 2021 and it works without a hiccup.
    Alternatively, you can install it for Max 2020 and just point it instead to the Max 2021 root folder.

Changelog for 5.0.9:

COMPATIBILITY:
    Built for Maxwell Render 5.0.2.21

IMPROVEMENTS:
    Now the plugin also allows for loading LDR image formats besides HDR ones in the Image Based Environment (although we still strongly suggest not using LDR images to illuminate the scene). This is specially useful for the background, reflection and refraction channels.
    Now the Export to Maxwell Cloud feature is capable of sending all the frames of an animation for rendering in the Cloud.

FIXES:
    3dsmax crashed when opening MW4 scenes that contained MxLights.
    The plugin was not storing the values of Bump, Scale U and Scale V in Global Properties section of the materials.
    The Maxwell sequence render feature was not launching Maxwell in frames mode (only rendered one file and not the whole sequence).
    Inconsistency with the material layer enable/disable state when adding new layers.
    3dsmax crashed if Maxwell could not find a valid license.

And the much abused by incomplete renders Bilboa museum:

[​IMG]

7. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Active Member

Great roocoon... where is our link? Can you share one out of the hundreds?

8. roocoon

:)
    Link on a News section? That would spoil the fun.
    Dreaming (of or in 3D) about it (a wordplay on your nick made in good spirit -- you actually have one of the better ones I've seen), is the only thing you can do at the moment until one of the smart "crackers" roaming around these forums can rip my protection or, heaven forbid, crack it on their own :)

Really now, most of us are incommunicado in our places. I'd expect many cracks to show up with all the forced free time crackers will probably have.
    Exercise patience and stay safe.

9. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Active Member

I'm sure it still sucks, like watching paint dry. If it was worth the money, I would just buy it. I have a machine capable of running anything now, the Mac Pro is resting....

Corsair CC-9011063-WW Graphite Series 780T Full Tower PC Case - Black
    GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS Xtreme
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core, 64-Thread
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1600W
    (3) Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
    Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, Premium-Grade CPU Cooler for AMD sTRX4/TR4/SP3 (140mm, Brown)
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    Windows 10 Pro
    CentOS 7.7 (Linux)
    Waiting for the RTX 3080 Ti

10. roocoon

Easy to find out if it works for you or not. They have a trial, don't they?
    If it's worth it, go and buy it, else scrap it.

11. roocoon

An updated plugin (v5.0.6.3) for Rhino 6 just came out.
    Changelog:
    Version 5.0.6.3 - 29 Apr 2020

ADDED:

Re-written Maxwell Material with an integrated material editor (in the previous version it was called "Maxwell Referenced"). This new material works similarly to Maxwell’s Mxed materials, and it is fully integrated into the Rhino UI. You can now choose from a full-fledged Maxwell material editor or the referenced materials; as in Mxed, you can change from one to the other from the Material’s Global Properties > Type dropdown. The Maxwell Material is fully compatible with the Rhino undo/redo mechanism.

New Maxwell Texture. The Maxwell Material by default uses this texture to provide a similar interface as we have under the Mxed texture editor. But the Maxwell Texture is a normal Rhino texture too, so the user can use it for other Rhino materials too.

New command "Maxwell_MaterialReplacer" (intended to help Rhino 5 Mac users to load all the materials from older scenes). After the user calls this command and selects the folder with all the mxm files, the plugin replaces the Rhino materials if it finds an mxm file with the same filename as the material name. (For example material "BlackPlastic" is replaced with an existing "BlackPlastic.mxm" file from the selected folder).

New UI control in File menu > Properties > Maxwell for Rhino > "Displayed Texture Size". The users can now control the resolution of the Maxwell Material textures displayed inside the Rhino viewport.

New UI control in File menu > Properties > Maxwell for Rhino > FIRE Settings > "Baked Texture Size". The users can control the resolution of the baked Rhino textures under the FIRE view (for Rhino procedural textures).

New UI control in Rendering tab > Maxwell for Rhino settings > Global tab > "Baked Texture size". The user can control the resolution of the baked Rhino textures under normal Maxwell Render.

New Maxwell "Document Properties" page (Maxwell for Rhino > Material Preview) with material preview controls.

New UI control in File menu > Properties > Maxwell for Rhino > Decimal Precision.

IMPROVED:

4-5x faster export in the case the scene contains lots of block instances.

Maxwell Render parameters undo/redo handling is faster now.

Rhino texture export is faster and FIRE more interactive.

The plugin now exports the meshes with all of its UV maps (Multi-UV).

Maxwell Undo text is more informative now (it shows the name of the changed parameter).

In the case Maxwell sends multiple errors or warning messages, the plugin shows all the received messages (not just the last one) after the user clicks on the FIRE view bottom area "* ERROR: CLICK here to see message *".

Objects are now exported with their name (if any) plus the id of the object.

Block geometries are now exported in block groups.

The Document Properties Maxwell pages now have the "Restore Defaults" button.

Maxwell for Rhino Document Properties parameters now have default values.

(WIN only) The labels of Document Properties Maxwell pages now change to blue if any value has been changed (to show there is a new value to Accept or Cancel).

(WIN only) The Maxwell UI controller steppers are now draggable (similar to normal Rhino steppers).

(WIN only) When dragging or changing steppers, it doesn't fill the undo stack with in-between data (otherwise, the undo content would be filled with useless data).

(WIN only) While changing the color value in the color dialog, it doesn't fill the undo stack with in-between data (otherwise, the undo content would be filled with useless data).

The plugin now uses the Eto color button for color properties.

Drag and drop between color controls. (Under Windows it is now possible to drag and drop also Rhino colors into Maxwell color buttons).

Added warning for the two-point perspective camera (Maxwell doesn't support it).

On the command log panel, the plugin writes out the time required to export the scene.

Rhino to Maxwell material Texture coordinate export (Known Limitation: rotation works but rotation+scale only in 0/90/180/270 degrees).

Maxwell to Rhino material Texture coordinate export (Known Limitation: rotation works but rotation+scale doesn't work - only rotation or scale).

FIXED:

(OSX only) The installer couldn’t install the plugin in the case the /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugins folder didn't exist.

Rhino slowed down when a Maxwell material was applied to many objects.

Some scenes could freeze Rhino on Maxwell export. It seems it is an issue with Rhino baking; as a workaround, some baking flags are disabled now to avoid this issue.

When Custom Alpha was applied to a block, only the first object of the block was exported with the Custom Alpha applied.

After changing the object parameter of a block object, FIRE only refreshed the first sub-object of the block.

In the case the scene contained several copies of the same instance block, when the user deleted the original block from the scene, all the blocks disappeared from the FIRE view (the copies are handled as instances under Maxwell).

Rhino crashed when creating block definitions while FIRE ran.

Block inserted from an embedded file (or block with sub-blocks) didn't follow the Maxwell Object settings.

The parameters in the Document Properties page were not reverted when clicking the Cancel button.

After undoing the Maxwell Environment Path channel change the value was a text "NULL" instead of an empty string.

Camera exposure EV value was wrong if Iso value was not 100.

The camera didn't keep exposure correctly in the "Lock Exposure" mode if Iso value was not 100.

In some cases, the Maxwell UI panels didn't fit correctly into the parent UI container.

Mouse scroll wheeling could cause panning the whole container control instead of spinning the value of the control.

After the Rhino view was changed to named view the Maxwell camera showed the saved camera position instead of the active camera position.

Rhino’s Gem materials were exported as Rhino’s Custom materials (this was a bug in the Rhino API, but found a workaround).

CHANGED:

The camera exposure presets now change Iso/Shutter/F-Stop values too.

Maxwell numerical UI controls value change is not immediate now, the user has to accept it with “Enter” or click out of the control. It is also possible to cancel with “Esc”.

[​IMG]

12. roocoon

And the long expected Maya 2020 support is out too. v5.0.6

Changelog:

Version 5.0.6 - 29 Apr 2020

COMPATIBILITY:

Built for Maxwell Render version 5.0.2.21.
    Added support for Maya 2020.
    Added support for MacOS operating system.

IMPROVED:

Added an option to activate or deactivate the Grass, Scatter or Subdivision extensions per node. You will find a new dropdown at the top part of their parameters panel.
    Now the Maya’s File Path Editor tool also takes into account referenced mxs and mxm files so the user can now repath some or all of them to a different folder (this doesn't affect the paths of the textures or referenced inside those mxm or mxs files). This was already working for the textures used in the scene.
    The exporter to Studio only exported what was selected; now, if there are objects selected, only the selected objects will be exported and, if there is nothing selected, everything will be exported.
    When exporting to Studio, no camera was included; now, if there are objects selected, only the selected cameras will be exported and, if nothing is selected, all of them will be exported; in both cases, the active camera will be exported. When launching a render, only the active camera is sent.
    Export to Studio, Pack and Go, File > Export and File > Export Selection now is exporting the group hierarchy to the mxs file. The mxs file generated when rendering will still be flat (so it exports the smallest file possible).
    Export to Studio, Pack and Go, File > Export and File > Export Selection now is exporting the hidden geometry and their materials.
    When exporting to Studio now the environment settings are also exported.
    If no path was specified for storing the mxs file, the export to Studio, Network or Maxwell Cloud commands failed; now an untitled.mxs will be saved in one of these folders depending on the operating system:
    Windows: C:\Users\<username>Documents\maya\projects\default\scenes\maxwell\
    MacOS: ~/Documents/maya/projects/default/scenes/maxwell/
    The viewport preview of the sky was projected onto a too-small sphere so when the camera clips were active the preview of the sky could disappear. Now the sphere is bigger and will work better in most of the scenes.
    The naming and icons of the Maxwell nodes now are more specific; these have been improved: Grass, Scatter, Maxwell Reference, Sea, Sky Preview, Bin Object, RFRK Object and RFRK Particles.

FIXED:

The “Update from File” button in a referenced material made the corresponding faces disappear in Fire.
    Fire was not stopped when a normal render was launched.
    The Pack and Go tool was not exporting the .mxs file or the Maya scene file in the selected location.
    The plugin could generate Maxwell materials with the texture slot active but without a texture inside; this could make the GPU engine fail.
    Maxwell Sea was not exported when using the export selection method.
    Maxwell Scatter typo: Length Map should say Scale Map
    Fixed obsolete code.

KNOWN ISSUES:

On Mac, mxs references, proxies and extensions (grass, scatter, sea,...) may not display correctly in the viewport and may produce some instability.

[​IMG]

13. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Active Member

Wow.... maybe you could up the poly's on that fancy scene... I see jaggies on the torus and sphere. I don't think Maxwell Render will ever be worth the money they want.... Maybe $100.00 USD :)

14. roocoon

You have better eyes than me and you're right. I quadrupled the tessellation of the sphere and torus (both to 40x40 on the image below). Jaggies were reduced but even better it took care of that bright dot on the torus (some diffuse light reflection) that I thought it was dust on my screen :)
    I still don't know how it would look if I'd let it finish though. My patience limit is around 10 minutes.
    In any case, nobody is silly enough to pay me for rendering pretty spheres and after all, I only care to find out if the programs work.

[​IMG]

15. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Active Member

Much better man... I would like to try a non-watermarked version.
    Very happy with Redshift these days, best benchmark yet... If I were to boot into CentOS... I would shave about 40 secons more :)

Redshift 3.0.19 (Windows)
    CPU: 64 threads, 3.90 GHz, 255.89 GB
    GPU(s): [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB 0.047ms (RTX ON)], [GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB 0.032ms]
    Time: 00h:03m:58s

[​IMG]

16. roocoon

Great scene.
    I could easily render that scene in 3-4 weeks if only I could load it :)

Speed is nice but it's just hardware. You pay enough, you can beat any score.

What's impressive to me, is the talent of the people that could set up such a scene. Concept and implementation.
    I don't do this stuff and can't imagine how long it would take some proficient artist to do. 3-5 weeks? More?
    However long it takes, it's still great. Kudos to all artists.

17. dreamof3d

dreamof3d Active Member

Yeah, very cool... too bad I can't load the scene into C4d.... for the RS benchmark only :(