Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. We need to collect this month donation for our Servers,

Click this link and Help Us:http://forum.gfxdomain.net/donate/

If we help in yours works or study , please spend some money for us to pay ours servers

Realflow 10.5 to 3DS Max 2014

Discussion in 'Plug-ins : Requests' started by Andy47, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Might be a stupid question, but does anyone have the latest reaflow max plugin, that works with Max 2014 and if so, would it let me import the paticlemeshxx_xxxxx.bin files, created in Realflow 10.5 standalone... After all a bin file is a bin file (isn't it)

If it is possible, then could someone share the latest realflow plugin for Max 2014.. and please no zippyshare.

Cheers

2. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

Realflow is a standalone so I suppose you mean their RFConnect bridge (?) to it.
    The last I have is 6.0.3 (half a meg or so).
    In my system it installs for Max 2018-2020 which is what I have as active.
    I've left traces of older Max versions in my laptop and plugins usually find and install for all of them, so either RF identifies them some other way or most likely it only supports the last three supported Max versions.

A much older version than 6.0.3 might install in 2014 but probably would be incompatible to RF 10.5.
    You could install a naked Max 2020 just for one-shot cases like that.

3. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Well I'm not bothered about using using Max 2014 with RF 10.5.. All I am interested in, is finding out if the max 2014 pliugin, will allow me to import .bin files from RF10.5.... I am thinking .bin files are much like .jpg files, so no matter what version of image editor you have, the .jpg files will load the same.... YEs of course I could not go back and forth between Max 2014 and Realflow 10.5, since the connection plugin would likely not recognise that I have Realflow installed, as the version is too high.

But If I am using the standalone of realflow, I would think that if I export the scene (3dsMax units in metres of course, since that's the same as Realflow) using the 2014 plugin, realflow 10.5 should be able to load it (in theory) as I'm guessing it should be backward compatible.. Then once the sim is complete and I mesh it, which exports .bin files (one set of the particles and another set for the meshes) I am again thinking I should be able to import the mesh bin files, into Max 2014.

Could you send me the 6.0.3 version, I cannot find any details on version compatibility out there, so who knows it might work

4. roocoon

Here it is: h**ps://www83.zippyshare.com/v/KaJ8unZR/file.html

(I can't make a link. I'm defragging and my system is misbehaving)

5. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Cheers roocoon, gave it a go, but sadly that version isn't compatible with max 2014.

If anyone else knows of a way to get the meshes from Realfow 10.5 standalone, into 3DS Max 2014, that would be great...

6. roocoon

How did you find out? You run it and it complained and if so how? Any messages?

7. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry roocon, I attempted to install it, when it gets to the part Select 3d Studio Max directories, it only has Max 2018, 2019 and 2020, so obvioulsy too high a version for Max 2014

However, I am now trying to figure out, how to import .obj into Max 2014, with animation...??? since you can export the mesh as OBJ and a single frame export imports in to 2014 ok.

8. roocoon

When you select the Max version, select, say Max 2018, and change the folder it shows to Max 2014.
    After it installs, you can try using it. If it doesn't load at this point which is probable, it could still be fixable if it uses unchanged API calls.

The installed plugin name is probably RFLib_3dsMax_2018.dll.
    Change the 2018 to 2014. Open it in a hex editor and do the same there (2018 -> 2014). There are 3 occurrences but only the 3rd is important -- doing them all doesn't hurt.
    Save it and try again. Remember to change the original's suffix from ,dll to something like .bak
    If it still complains I could look at it on my own or teamviewer with you.

Looking at my Max installation I see a Realflow.dlo too. This is from NextLimit RealFlow 1.0.0.0027 for 3ds Max (for back in November 2018).
    It's a simple RLM crack but the installer in my system only recognizes 2017-2019.
    It doesn't need the main Realflow installation from what I remember so you wouldn't have the latest RF functionality.
    I don't think they provide it anymore (I could be wrong) and no idea if any older versions are still around. I cleaned up my disk to make some room and got rid of pre-2018 stuff.

Anyway, one step at a time. Try the RFConnect route first.

As for importing OBJ with animation, I'd think there would be plugins that do that. I don't do time-consuming tasks in the laptop so I don't track this stuff. Other people will probably suggest something.

9. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Wil give that a go later, will report back what happens. As for obj sequences. I found a script called importObjSeq.ms. However it's painfully slow and often stops, while it's doing something, then the busy cursor appears for about a minute and then it jumps several frames.. But it does work, albeit very very very slow. Another script I had high hopes for was objloader_v1.4.1.ms, but that just loads al the obj's one on top of the other..

Anyway, got to go out in a minute, so I'll give that you idea a try and see what happens... Cheers

10. kastou

kastou Member

Unlike jpeg, bin is not a format. The file could actually not have an extension at all. To my knowledge, bin(usually for binary) simply indicate the file contain raw data, and it can be anything. And so, there is no guaranty that the binary data from old version are compatible with last version.

11. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

@roocoon Well I tried installing to Max 2014 root as you suggested, just got a bunch of errors trying to write to the plugins folder and far as I can see, none of the files it is trying to write are already installed and I checked and the the plugin folder it not write protected

@kastou Sure, there is no guarantee that the bin files from RF10.5, will load into Max 2014. However being a standalone version, I have no idea if it cares what version of modelling program you want to load them into. Strange how the connect plugin, isn't compatible with as many versions of Max as it used to be

Another thing I tried was Alembic, but had to find an Alembic import plugin for Max 2014, since it never did get support for it. Trouble is when trying to mesh the sequence, it did one frame and RF10.5 closed.. On trying to mesh a single frame, to Alembic, that worked, but when I tried to import it, i got an error

Anyway I'm gonna cook dinner now.. I'm hungry.

12. roocoon

Errors on writing files to the folder shouldn't happen, unless you're not admin and your Max folder is on C:.
    Run the installer as admin and see what happens.

As for RF meshing only a a single frame, either some setting is wrong or the crack is not good (somebody should have complained already but who knows...)
    Post a small scene and I'll try it when that slow defrag finishes.

13. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Ran as admin as you mentiuoned, but after it finihsed, I can't find RFLib_3dsMax_2018.dll anywhere in any of the 3dsmax directories or anything similar, only thing is the dlo, as you mentioned. The RFConnect plugin installs to the a Nextlimit folder

In there I have a folder RFCOnnect6 for Max, which is the one you gave me a link to and all that's in there, is eula.pdf, release_notes.txt, telling you what system requirements are (Max 2018-2020) etc and an uninstall.exe

Only .dll files I can find anywhere, that start RF and in the Program Files > Nextlimit >Realflow 10 folder.

Think I'll give up on the plugin idea to be honest, I think the only chance of getting reaflow to work with Max 2014, is either exporting animated obj's and finding a decent way to export them, since the only two scripts I have they say they do, one imports each frame and then everything drops to a crawl, despite having 6Gb of memory and an i7 8700k processor.. and the other one, like I said, imports all the obj's, but all on screen at once and it's a heavy thing.

Or I can persevere with this Alembic thing, I have a feeling I set the mesher to save the alembic data but turned off the bin data. It crashed out with out error, after saving frame 0, but would save any single frame.. However I did a similar thing with OBJ.. I set it to save only obj's and not bin and it failed, but when I set it to export bin AND obj it worked. Strangely though, it only exported the obj's. So I was thinking maybe, it save the bin, then converts that to what other format, but then how does it export the single frame, with the same settings.

Not giving up just yet.. Once I can make the money I would definitely like to buy PhoenixFD, because I refuse to instal and cracked version of that, as I already have a legit paid for version of V-Ray and god knows what kind of mess, a cracked Phoenix FD might casue.

Right I'm going back to have a play with this RF 10.5 standalone and see if I can finally get it to produce meshes that I can git into Max 2014

14. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

What I would love, is Reaflow for 3DSMax and for it to be compatible with Max 2014, so you could do al this realflow stuff, inside of Max. However I have a feeling, it won't be compatible with Max 2014.. .thought it seems impossible to find any information as to what version of max it IS compatible with. Same goes with RF connect plugins, I can't find anywhere with releases notes, so I can find which one worked with Max 2014...

15. roocoon

I assumed RFLib_3dsMax_2018 was the RFConnect file because of the date it was installed in my system. It also sounded close enough :)

I extracted the installer and the proper file is realflow.dlu in Max's \Plugins folder. The RealFlow.dlo I mentioned, came from the Realflow for Max installer.

The .dlu file should be there but probably will not load.
    I'll PM you a modified copy in 15 minutes or so that could maybe load it, assuming everything else is supported in Max 2014.
    If it still doesn't work, I can only figure something out with Teamviewer but tomorrow or later. The defragger is slower than a turtle.

According to their docs it was supposed to support 2015-2019 but I guess somebody forgot to update that note.
    h**ps://nextlimitsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/rf2016docs/pages/5497762/RFConnect

16. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Problem solved

Plugin "realflow_max_2014.0.3.exe" located, downloaded and installed.. and looks like bin files are not bothered by the version of Max I have. I did a very quick test and can create a scene in Max, export it to Realflow 10.5 standalone, create a simple liquid sim, build a mesh and import that to Max 2014.

One little bug, which is known about, is when the mesh comes in, it gets rotated 90 degrees, on the Z axis, but simple enough to rotate the whole thing 90 degrees.

So yes, you can use Max 2014, alongside Realflow 10.5 standalone

Now what features Realflow now has, that may not come into Max 2014, I have no idea, but the plugin (toolbar)has all the same functions that all the newer ones have, from what I can see, so who knows.

Anyway, thanks to those of you that helped.

Job done

roocoon likes this.