Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tutorial: How to rip videos and subs from Domestika easily (might work on other sites)

Discussion in 'Help' started by theresock, Sep 4, 2019.

1. theresock

theresock Member

Hi, as I was trying to download videos from Domestika I was told about Ant Video Downloader (for Firefox, Chrome and Opera). But noone knew how to download the subtitles (close captions). This tutorial will show you how to download everything with ease.

To get the job done with ease you need to install the Maxthon cloud browser first before you follow these steps. If you don't want to use Maxthon and already know how to download the videos with another web browser then go to step 8 to know how to download the subs.

1. Go to the page where the video you want to download is and play the video. Then click on the little gear at the bottom right of the video player:
    [​IMG]

2. Select the highest resolution (in this case it's 1080P):
    [​IMG]

3. Once you've selected the highest resolution, there should be a check mark next to the resolution like so:
    [​IMG]

4. You may have notice that when you hover the video player a menu on top of the video pops up with the possibility to either download the video or pop it up (on an external window). click on "Download":
    [​IMG]

5. Once you clicked on "Download" a list with one or more resources will appear. Click "Save all" (whether there is one or more resources):
    [​IMG]

6. When "Save all" is clicked a new window will pop up allowing you to select the location in which you want to save the resource(s). Choose your desired location and click "save" (Note that if there was only one resource on the list above you will have a different window than the one shown in the image below but the same principle shall apply):
    [​IMG]

7. The Download Manager will start downloading the resource(s). (Note that if there was more than one resource like in the list from step 5 you're gonna want to only keep the file with the largest size as show in the image below where smaller size tasks are deleted):
    [​IMG]

8. Now to download the subtitles you need to right click anywhere on the page (except on the video player) and click on "Inspect element" you can also press F12 instead to open the "Developer tool":
    [​IMG]

9. Once you followed step 8 a side window will open in the browser. That's the Developer tool:
    [​IMG]

10. In the Developer tool window click on any HTML element (on the top part of the Developer tool where there is purple, orange, blue and/or green text):
    [​IMG]

11. Once you clicked an HTML element in the Developer tool window that part of the window becomes active and you can search/look up text on it by clicking CTRL+F (a search bar will appear):
    [​IMG]

12. Search for "vtt" - vtt is the extension for web caption/subtitles (Note that on Domestika, you need to play a video for the vtts to appear in the source even if you pause the video afterward. In Fact once you play a video the webpage through javascript/ajax will retrieve the vtt tracks and add them to the HTML document):
    [​IMG]

13. Once you found a vtt resource in the Developer tool window; right click on it and select "Open in new tab":
    [​IMG]

14. The sub will open in another tab as shown in the picture below:
    [​IMG]

15. Right click on the sub and select "Save as..." or press CTRL+S:
    [​IMG]

16. A "New Download" window will pop up. You can select where you want to save the sub and set a different file name if you want to. Then click "Save" the subtitle will be downloaded:
    [​IMG]

17. Go back to the previous tab and on the search bar in the Developer tool press the downward arrow to get the next vtt resource (You migh have more than one vtt track if there are more than one sub per video - e.g. English, Spanish, Portuguese):
    [​IMG]

18. Follow each step from 13 to 18 until you have every subtitles.
    19. You can convert the video to MP4 with "handbrake" if they aren't MP4 already.

Good Luck!

2. mir_sj

mir_sj Member

How would you download from sites where you can't actually play the video?
    Like, from, https://motiondesign.school/products/hand-drawn-fx-in-toon-boom
    I've been looking for this and thought about ripping this, since I've seen requests for this and need it myself.
    (I also tried youtube-dl but it just downloads snippets and not full length videos. And the page has like gifs, so where do I find the video/mp4?)
    I'm attaching a few snaps, if that helps.

https://fromsmash.com/xYjd5e1kJ~-c0

Thanks

3. bloodaxe

bloodaxe Member

Somebody please help this dude, I need this course too, don't worry buddy I will be sure to update this thread daily so it gets some traffic.

Have you bought the course yet?

mir_sj likes this.
  4. mir_sj

mir_sj Member

Thank you so much lol, I can't afford it even with the discounts XD, that's why I've been looking for it almost everywhere and posting in forums haha