Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. We need to collect this month donation for our Servers,

Click this link and Help Us:http://forum.gfxdomain.net/donate/

If we help in yours works or study , please spend some money for us to pay ours servers

V-ray rendering issue

Discussion in 'Help' started by Bezio, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM.

1. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

Well after a long period of using Modo, i forget to use vray. Any ideas what can cause this and how can i fix it ?
    [​IMG]

- I use SU 2018 with Vray 3.6

2. BlackHand

BlackHand Active Member

what is the issue exactly? to me it looks like a not finished render with poor lighting. but it's not clear what is the issue. u should explain!

3. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

When render was finished, was the same dark scene. The light source is top left. I adjust the light but the result was the same. The white wall textures appearing black. In the Frame buffer i should have the colors and the brightness of the model beneath but there is a huge difference as we see. I'm missing something but i don't know what is

4. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

If you used Max, I would say click on the sRGB button at the bottom of the VFB, depends on what colour mapping you use, gamma settings etc. Does it look that dark, when saved? and opened in an image viewer

5. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

@Andy47 I use sketchup but i will check what you're saying! Is possible that problem caused by the textures ?

6. arpan555

arpan555 New Member

If you see the texture diffuse map in vray material, you can find a yellow triangle. Which means the vray can not find the path of the texture. So you have to assign the material path again. (I dont know how to post image in this post otherwise I'll upload the image). Normally the texture is located in the temporory folder(%tmp%). If you cant find texture in temp folder then click once on "edit texture image in external editor" in SketchUp material editor. After that you can find in the temp folder.
    This trick is works for me.

7. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

I think the textures are loading normally, and i'm thinking if is some adjustment is wrong, but i will try it and i'll have news later!

8. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that if i zoom-in, in every spot that there was texture ( white walls for example ) the texture has been substituted with a black -"polished" look- solid texture

9. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

Some update :
    [​IMG]
    How can i fix this ? Any suggestions ? Thanks

#9 Bezio, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:02 PM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:28 PM
  10. foreignerxx

foreignerxx Member

Could you send me the file?

11. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

Unfortunatelly i'm on my other computer right now. Tomorrow i can send. But i'm thinking something. If i export all the textures in a new folder (or only the textures were cause the problem) and reload them again? But on the other hand i don't want to lose the placement of each texture because the city is big and will take me days again. Is a there way to do corrections through Vray asset editor ?

12. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

You say the city is huge, and you are on your OTHER computer, could it be a texture size / memory problem. Perhaps, create a smaller scene, delete a large part of the city, leaving only a couple of buildings.. Save it under a new name (of course) and then reset, load it up and render, see if that works, if it does, then my guess would be a memory problem.

Bezio likes this.
  13. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

I will try it! I will keep only the spots of the city that i want. Let's hope that the problem will be fixed. ( My pc has 8gb ram - not so big )

14. BlackHand

BlackHand Active Member

Well, when VRay doesn't find the texture file it will show solid black. and one of ur pics says "failed to load". in 3ds max (wish I use) there's a message box when vray renders that show warning and errors but idk about sketchup. tho it looks to me that the issue is that vray can't find the texture file. OR another case is: if ur texture is of a heavy size and u use GPU rendering where ur CPU has not much VRAM like 2GB.

idk .. keep us posted and I'll try to help ;)

Bezio likes this.
  15. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

I worked on it today, and i'm sure that is not a memory problem finally. It's a texture problem. As Andy said i erase a lot of part of the scene but the issue was there . When i was waiting for the new vray (3.6) i changed to Modo and i haven't touch for a long period su + vray. I forgot to use it :) So what i'm thinking now : to export all textures in another folder and apply them again for the start. What do you think ? Is there an alternative-faster solution?

-Or can i reload somehow only the missing textures?

#15 Bezio, Jul 13, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 3:16 PM
  16. roocoon

roocoon Well-Known Member

Why don't you make a copy of your scene, keep the lights and such, keep a wall that doesn't render its texture map, delete everything else (except that specific texture map), and export what's left as a vrscene or an archive file (Vray for SKU should do it too but I haven't verified).
    Render that partial scene and see if it still has a problem. If it does, upload that scene for others to look at.

You're sure you don't have some normals flipped, right? Maybe your walls are backfaced.

foreignerxx and Bezio like this.
  17. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

So last update about this: I removed all the textures and the model is rendered fine. There is a texture problem. What i can do? Exporting all the textures and apply them again? I want to save some time and not apply them one by one. Or can i correct only the wrong ones ?

[​IMG]

18. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Thing is, with CPU, you are using system memory, with GPU you are using Video Memory. and only having 8GB system memory, with what appears to be quite a large scene, with possibly a lot of textures, probably quite hi res, I don't think it's enough. If you were using Max and V-Ray.

I'd be happy to try it for myself, if I used SU and V-Ray, but I use Max and V-Ray, and I am still convinced this is a memory thing.. Removing al the textures, doesn't disprove that, it was rendering the scene before and it's rendering it now, what it wasn't doing was loading the textures and as long as you are sure it was looking in the correct place for those textures and you model doesn't have flipped faces etc, then it's defo a memory problem..

I have seen black areas due to textures not loading, because of low memory before and I had 16Gb back then. I've even seen it only once with my earlier 32GB setup, but now I have 64GB and I doubt I will ever see it again. I am not suggesting you get 45Gb of memory, but I would seriously consider upgrading to 16GB. Some would say 64Gb is a lot and yes it is, but I'd rather have more memory than many would say I will ever need, than cross my fingers it works, each time I hit render. Speed is one thing, but if you don't have the memory to cope with a large scene, then al the speed in the world will be of no use, if you can't even load up the whole thing to render it.

One last note.. I have read several times, that al this talk about people wanting to have massive resolution textures, like 8K, 10k or even higher, yet the entire resolution of their final renders, is say 4k at most. are basically wasting memory and resources, even hard drive space.. an 8k map, is pointless, when used in a 4k render. Just as attempting to show the quality of an 8k TV on a 2K screen, is pointless

Bezio likes this.
  19. Bezio

Bezio Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunatelly i can't go any further than 8gb... Indeed, the bigger memory the better! I think i will setup from scratch a smaller scene - only the spots from the city that i want, and i will use smaller textures. Thank you

20. Andy47

Andy47 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Moderator

I was about to suggest, using lower resolution textures, but how about vray proxies. Just select the buildings, maybe those in the background, and convert to vray meshes. In Max you just right click and fill out the dialog box, I usually select create proxies automatically, I would also attach the building parts together, so you have only one object and vray will automatically create a multi texture for it.. Huge reduction in memory cost, when working and may just help solve your problem too. I use proxy a lot, especially when doing say a restaurant interior, where you have countless tables and chairs, you can either create the proxy from a group, meaning you can change the position of chairs in individual groups, or as a single object, all attached together, but can only rotate, scale and translate the single object. Another cool thing once you have say a proxy tree, it that you can copy it as an instance, and even if you scale, the original proxy, it doesn't affect the instances, unlike when you do the same in max, if you instance say a box and scale the original, al the others scale too. If you've never tried vray proxy, I suggest you give them a try, I've been using that feature a lot recently. One thing it is incredibly useful for, is say you have 4 or 5 high quality tree models. If you load them al in as is, the poly count will sky rocket, slow down the viewport and possiby cause a crash or render problems. BUT if you convert to vray proxies, the poly count is drastically reduced, the viewport speeds up hugely and you can still view the full mesh, if you need to reposition it accurately.. and though the full mesh versions may cause render problems, due to having them al loaded into memory, proxies, only get loaded at render time.

Give them a try